Saturday, June 30, 2012

Balance Your Baggage

As I was listening to Erykah Badu's "Bag Lady"
I thought about the amount of bags I take on Vivid Mirror getaways

On the last trip my friend was traveling with baggage on wheels, nothing new in this day and age. Me however; I was struggling with the tug of VS Pink bags, without wheels. If I can paint a vivid picture for you of the walk from the parking lot to the hotel it would be colors of pink, yellow, and purple crayons drastically out of the lines. The ride down the escalator was a stillness of disbelief, yet preparation in case everything went for a tumble. As we proceeded to the front desk I was asked a question that I have never been asked before at check-in, "what will you be doing tonight". With a proud smile I said "she is a photographer and I am going to finish writing my book". The hostess seemed to be put at ease with an understanding that possibly those are camera's, backdrops, film, pens, books and laptops within the bags that sat on the floor giving our arms a sigh of relief. Venturing up to the 7th floor I was reminded of a woman's strength and determination. As the elevator door closed I visioned the use of a cart that we could have used many times.

So I ask Badu, what if the bag we carry is good yet still heavy, are we going to miss the bus, are we going to loose out on something we needed to grab? Maybe the time line of our journey has filled us up with good baggage so that we don't grab anything else, and the strength that we build with the weight is preparing us for the road ahead.

On the morning of checkout as I packed my bags I noticed it was lighter in weight. With a confused look on my face I left the feeling alone. However my travel partner looked at me and said "is it lighter", "yes" I replied, "maybe you packed it differently". Only me, the poet would take those few words and allow it to educate me on life. As we got closer to the car I took a break and sat my bag down, it wasn't the weight this time, it was just a hand adjustment. It wasn't even suppose to be noticed, but it was and as my travel buddy turned to look she lost control of her rolling luggage and everything took a tumble. I giggled and said "see you were suppose to remain focused, but you looked back at me with the thought of my baggage being heavy and you fell off balance". As she giggled more items fell from her hands. And together we were full of laughter.

Who cares what is in the bag, balance is all that matters. Naturally good and bad are apart of life, so if we pack it correctly, then we can carry it correctly. Don't become so familiar with baggage being heavy that you still look back on it that way, when it's sedately moving along with you.

(c) 2011 Ebony Larijani

No comments:

Post a Comment