Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Are We What We Eat, Or What We Think

About a week ago I read in the bible that nothing from the outside can harm you, what we place in us goes into our stomachs and comes out, it does not go into our hearts.

Matthew 15:17 "Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")

I have been focused on this verse and trying to untangle where my mind seems to tangle around it. Because we can look at different areas of the world and compare what we eat and then compare the ratio of healthy people. Is it our minds that have made us think that eating McDonald's is so unhealthy? I mean we are told daily by news media and other sources about the sodium/calorie intake. Maybe Jesus wasn't saying we can eat anything and be healthy, but that all food is clean to put in our mouths because it will come out, what it might do during it's journey in there is another story. 

I will admit this; for the past week I have been eating out of my "healthy" norm. I have indulged in things that I cut out of my life months ago because I knew they were not good for me. And I wonder if my subconscious mind is allowing me to experience food that I have missed because of the verse that I had read. As I eat them now I don't have a thought of "oh that is going to make me sick". In all honesty I have no thoughts, I eat and I enjoy. I do not plan to continue in this way for a while, but I do feel blessed to have enjoyed the freedom to have ate as I choose.

This verse may be about food for me, or this verse may have been another awareness of the power of the mind.

(c) 2011 Ebony Larijani

No comments:

Post a Comment