Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Does It Matter

We all hear people say, "she/he was raised that way". But what if they were raised that way, yet produce something so different on their own. I have been observing my children lately and how different they are. Like me my daughter has this dominate "I'm grown attitude" that I so clearly remember giving my mother in my teens. My older son has this laid back way about him that I carry now in my mature years. My youngest, well sometimes I wonder is he mine, lol.

I can look back over my childhood and I recall the distance between family members. I was not raised with hugs, kisses and spoken "I love you", but I was raised with a feeling of being loved. I see this branched down the family tree as I watch my older kids and how they act. We know love is within the home, but the hugs, kisses and spoken confirmation does not exist from them or to them. To be any different that would mean to recreate how I was taught with fear, because change does that, even to the sway of the family tree. As I observe my youngest he is full of love that he gives to all family that surrounds him. He is eager to hug and kiss. Is it his age I did think at first, but he makes it a point to let family know that he loves them. "Mommy I haven't seen you all day, I love you", "Brother I love you", "Sister where have you been I love you". It is the way he does not fear communicating his love that makes me proud and makes me think... Does It Matter, how he was raised because of how I was raised and spun down to my young.

Does It Matter?
Could he be the change that the family branches need, since they have always seemed to just produce leaves that silently flutter and tickle the knowledge that we all love each other... the firm stem may not sway with ease to the sound, but communication has begun and it has brought openness... little flowers blossoming and branches intertwined.

(c) 2011 Ebony Larijani

No comments:

Post a Comment